Increase Your Home’s Curb Appeal and Resale Value
First impressions are everything, and your home’s exterior is no exception. When you pull into your driveway, do you like what you see? When neighbors walk by are you proud – or embarrassed? One way to instantly improve your home’s curb appeal is with professional landscaping and proper lawn maintenance. A perfectly manicured lawn signals to passersby – and potential homebuyers, if your home is on the market – that this home has been lovingly maintained, which is exactly the signal you want to send. It is the first step to inviting them in to the rest of your home!
Here are a few tips:
1. Start with your front door and work outward from there. You’ll want to be sure the door itself is in good shape (consider repainting or re-staining if necessary), then consider a paved walkway from the door to either your driveway or the sidewalk. This makes your home inviting by literally leading the way to your front door. You can accent the pathway with lighting, flowers, or small shrubs.
2. Next, consider a flowerbed or shrub border around the perimeter of your house. This can add visual interest when done right. Keep seasonality in mind, perhaps with a few evergreens for year-round color, and then seasonal splashes of color with a blend of various annuals and perennials. Here’s a handy list of perennials to choose from for spring to fall.
3. Then, take a look at your trees. Trim any unruly, unsightly, dangerous, or dead branches. Consider landscaping around your trees as well; a simple mulch ring around the base could work, or you could go further with landscaping stones and flowerbeds.
4. Spray regularly for weeds so that your lush, healthy lawn stays that way! Different weeds are common at different parts of the year, so be sure you’re treating the right weeds the right way at the right time.
5. Mow, trim, weed, and prune. No amount of attractive landscaping can make up for an unkempt yard. Weekly mowing (bonus points for doing it at an alternating angle each week) and trimming are crucial to maintaining a polished look. Prune shrubs as necessary, pull weeds from flowerbeds, and dead-head any flowers that have started to brown.
6. Check your mailbox. Is it old, rusty, or in disrepair? Replacing your mailbox is an inexpensive way to spruce things up!
7. Don’t forget the backyard! While “curb appeal” applies to people looking at the front of your home from the curb, if you’ve managed to get them into your Open House and looking around, they’ll likely take a peek out back. And would you rather them be greeted by an untamed, high-maintenance jungle or a friendly, usable outdoor space? A patio edged with greenery can go a long way!
By implementing these tips, you could increase the resale value of your home, as well as improve your home’s curb appeal, thus encouraging more homebuyers to check out your home in the first place. And even if you aren’t planning on selling your home in the near future, you can still enjoy coming home each day to a home with nice curb appeal!
If you don’t have time to take care of everything yourself, Wellman’s Lawn Care can help. We are locally-owned and serve homeowners in Springfield, IL and the surrounding area. By hiring a lawn care expert, you can rest assured your home will look great from the curb without having to worry about lawn maintenance. We are committed to providing the best landscape maintenance for our clients (read testimonials from our happy clients here). Contact us today for a free estimate!